A roof does so much more than just shield you from the elements. It is a rather complex section of a house, comprised of multiple parts which come together in unison to provide shade, regulate airflow, and control the temperature. You have to make sure your roof gets the care it needs to live out its lifespan without causing you trouble.
There are many reasons why roofs tend to be neglected, but the most common one is that most homeowners don't know what the early signs that your roof needs immediate care are. Here, we are going to tell you how to catch the early warnings your roof is throwing at you. We are not telling you to go up there. These are things you can spot from the ground using a pair of binoculars, or if you are a tech-savvy person, a camera drone.
Signs your Roof needs to be repaired ASAP.
- Damaged Shingles. If you noticed cracks in the shingles, they are loose or curled, or they have fallen off, it means they have reached the end of their usefulness, and they have to be replaced.
- Increase in the Energy Bill. Keep an eye on your energy bill, especially if you have it on auto-pay. If there is a sudden increase you can't explain, it probably means there is a leak, and it is letting the cold wind seep through during the winter and hot air during the summer.
- Interior Water Damage. Look for stains on your ceiling or walls. That is another indication there is a leak or that there is a problem with the insulation. Bear in mind that by the time the water damage is noticeable to the naked eye, your roof has already been extensively compromised and in need of immediate repairs or replacement.
- Missing Granules. The granules are what protect the shingles from taking water damage. If you find granules while cleaning the gutters, you need to install new ones quickly.
- Mold/Algae. One of the biggest enemies a roof has is mold and also algae. If left unchecked, it will devour the roof.
If you spot any of these signs, you need to call a professional roofing company a request an inspection.