For a lot of people, this is an intimidating task to take on. Once you have made up your mind regarding which roofing contractors you wish to hire, the next big step is to request an estimate from them. If you have more than two or three companies in mind, an estimate could be the extra help you need to make a decision. Additionally, there is key information you'll find inside, like materials and an approximate time frame. Continue reading below to find out the basic things you need to know about roofing quotes.
What is a roofing estimate?
A roofing estimate is a detailed summation of every aspect of a roof replacement or roof repair project provided by a roofing company.
What goes in a roofing estimate?
The information found on a roofing estimate varies from company to company. Some of them email a single-page quote, and others use specialized software to create a detailed quote. While the content may be different, there is some basic information that is usually the same regardless.
Here the basic outline of any roofing estimate:
- List of materials.
- Licenses and insurance info.
- Additional details like:
- Who will be doing what.
- Estimated deadline.
- The overall cost of the project.
- Payment terms. (If applies.)
A proper estimate issued by a professional roofing company should include a detailed list of the materials that will be used for the project, including brand name and types.
Common roofing materials:
- Ventilation materials:
- Box vents.
- Ridge vents.
- Soffit vents.
Depending on where you live, local or city building codes may require permits for any roofing-related project. Professional roofing companies must be familiar with what type of permits are needed and should be included in the estimate as well as the cost of getting them.
Things to keep in mind when comparing roofing quotes.
If you only compare the bottom line between all the estimates, it looks like an easy task. However, the numbers won't tell you the whole story.
Keep these things in mind when you have to compare between estimates:
- Read every quote carefully to make a fair comparison between multiple roofing estimates. An expensive quote may include more extensive work as a roof replacement, while a cheaper one may just be about a roof repair.
- The roofing estimate may include transportation costs, depending on how far the contractor is from you. If you are working with a local company, this may not apply.
- If you have a steep roof, the estimate may be higher than usual, due to all the extra work and extra precautions necessary.
- The roofing materials you want to use will have a direct impact on the bottom line. Depending on the type of shingles, underlayment, vents, and other accessories and components, the price will vary drastically.
- If, in addition to the work being done on your roof, you want to make other improvements or aesthetic changes, this will also be reflected heavily on the overall cost of the project.
What to ask the roofing contractor before asking for an estimate.
If you can't decide whether to get a roof repair or a roof replacement, ask your roofing contractor what they recommend and why.
Some roofing companies specialize in a specific type of work. It is better that you find out about that before making any commitment. You can ask them to make different estimates, one for a replacement and the other for a repair.
When you're searching for roofing companies, asking them for quotes is a good place to start to compare costs. The roof is an important part of your home, so deciding to repair it or replace should not be taken lightly. You need to gather all the information necessary to make an informed decision.